Some graduates at a University in the UK.


Are you interested in studying for a university degree in the UK or another English-speaking country? We can help! Read this article to discover some possible options!

Do I need to pass an exam like IELTS to get into university?

If you are a non-native speaker of English, you might need to prove you have the right English level for university study. One way of proving this is through an IELTS test.

Even if you have a good level of English, IELTS preparation classes can help you improve your technique before you take your exam to give you a better chance of success.


Will I need a good level of English to study at university in the UK?

Universities will need to make sure you have the necessary English language skills to complete a degree course. They will expect students to be ready, so it is really important to make sure you can cope with the demands of your studies. Most courses require lots of reading and self-study: you will need to be able to study outside of lectures and tutorials.

Some universities (or particular courses) have higher requirements than others. For example, if you want to study a subject like medicine or law, you will need a higher IELTS score. You might be asked to complete an additional qualification, such as an International Foundation Year before you can study.


What is an International Foundation Year?

An International Foundation Year (IFY) is a bridging course between the end of high school or secondary school, and the start of an undergraduate university degree. It is specifically designed for students who have not studied in an English-speaking country. It will help you improve your studying and academic skills, and prepare you to begin your university course with confidence.

An IFY usually lasts for an academic year – around nine months of study. Depending on where you study, you will take in-person classes on a variety of different subjects. You will usually study for between 20 and 25 hours a week. There may be additional supporting tutorials and workshops to help. In addition, you will need to study outside class and complete homework tasks.

One of the subjects that you are likely to study is English for Academic Purposes or EAP. During your EAP classes, you will be supported with Academic English – this includes writing essays and giving presentations in English.

You will also have support with applying to university. This includes writing a personal statement and providing an academic reference.

You will be assessed before, during and at the end of your IFY course. These scores will show universities that you have the language and academic ability to study for a degree.


What are the differences between a Foundation Year and an International Foundation Year?

A Foundation Year is an additional year of study for students who don’t have the required A-level results to apply to university.

An International Foundation Year is an additional year of study for students from non-English speaking countries who want to study at university.


Do I have to study an International Foundation Year in the UK if I want to go to a UK university?


There are study centres and colleges in many different countries that offer IFY programmes. BSC’s brand new college in beautiful Malta has IFY programmes supported by NCUK, our long-time collaborator.

NCUK has partnerships with more than 45 universities in five different countries, including the UK.

As English is one of the official languages of the island and spoken by the majority of the population, you will be immersed in language both inside and outside the classroom!



We hope this article has been helpful. If you need any more advice, our expert team will be happy to help you decide on your best option for study. Contact us today or follow BSC Education on Instagram or TikTok to see more from us.